Hematoma-directed ultrasound-guided breast biopsy

La Nette F. Smith, Ronda Henry-Tillman, Steve Harms, Theodore Hronas, Anne T. Mancino, Kent C. Westbrook, Sohelia Korourian, Mary P. Jones, V. Suzanne Klimberg

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

38 Scopus citations


Objective and Summary Background Data: The standard technique for removal of nonpalpable breast lesions is needle localization breast biopsy. Because traumatic hematomas can often be seen with ultrasound, the authors hypothesized that iatrogenically induced hematomas could be used to guide the excision of nonpalpable lesions using ultrasound. Methods: Twenty patients with nonpalpable breast lesions detected by magnetic resonance imaging only were enrolled in this single-institution trial, approved by the institutional review board. A hematoma consisting of 2 to 5 mL of the patient's own blood was injected into the breast to target the nonpalpable lesion. Intraoperative ultrasound of the hematoma was used to direct the excisional biopsy. Results: The average age of women was 53.8 ± 10 years. Ninety-five percent of lesions detected by magnetic resonance imaging were localized by hematoma injection. All the hematomas used to recognize targeted lesions were identified at surgery by ultrasound and removed without complication. Eight (40%) of the lesions were malignant, with an average tumor size of 12 ± 6 mm (range 4-25). The remaining 12 lesions (60%) comprised papillomas, sclerosing adenosis, radial scar, fibroadenoma, and areas of atypical ductal hyperplasia. Conclusion: The results of this pilot study show the effectiveness of hematoma-directed ultrasound-guided breast biopsy for nonpalpable lesions seen by magnetic resonance imaging. This new procedure is potentially more comfortable for the patient because no wire or needle is left in the breast. It is technically faster and easier because ultrasound is used to visualize directly the location of the hematoma at surgery and to confirm lesion removal in the operating room by specimen ultrasound. The hematoma can be placed several days before biopsy, easing scheduling, and without fear of the migration that may occur with needle localization. This method may have ready application to mammographically detected lesions.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)669-675
Number of pages7
JournalAnnals of surgery
Issue number5
StatePublished - 2001
Externally publishedYes

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery


Dive into the research topics of 'Hematoma-directed ultrasound-guided breast biopsy'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this