Comparison of Transplanted Kidney Function in Patients on Two Different Doses of Mycophenolate Mofetil

H. T. Khosroshahi, A. Nahali, M. Gojazadeh, M. M. Shoja

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

4 Scopus citations


Introduction: Mycophenolate mofetil (MMF), an immunosuppressant that is widely used in renal transplant recipients, is associated with several dose-dependent hematologic and gastrointestinal side effects that lead to drug dose reduction or even discontinuation. The aim of this study was to compare the renal function and acute rejection rates of kidney allograft recipients who were on two different mycophenolate mofetil doses. Methods: In a prospective study, 59 allograft kidney recipients who were on MMF 2 g/d were randomly selected and followed for evidences of acute rejection or drug side effects. Four patients were excluded from the study due to noncompliance, graft loss, and patient loss from opportunistic infection. Of the remaining 55 patients, 22 patients (40%) underwent MMF dose reduction to 1.35 ± 0.23 g/d due to perceived side effects or economic reasons (group 1). The mean time for this change was 4.2 ± 2.1 months after the kidney transplantation. The remaining patients (group 2, n = 33, 60%) had no change in MMF 2 g/d drug dosage. All patients were followed for at least 30 months after transplantation. Renal function tests (blood urea and serum cratinine) were measured monthly. Statistical analysis was performed using SPSS 11.0 (Student t test). A P value < .05 was considered significant. Results: The two groups were comparable regarding age, gender, other immunosuppressive medications, and the time after transplantation. There were no episodes of acute rejection in group 1 after MMF dose reduction. The renal function (blood urea or serum creatinine levels) was comparable between the two groups at the end of study (P = .846 and .610, respectively). Conclusion: MMF dose reduction was not associated with an increased risk of acute renal allograft rejection or impaired graft function.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)2035-2037
Number of pages3
JournalTransplantation proceedings
Issue number7
StatePublished - Sep 2006
Externally publishedYes

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery
  • Transplantation


Dive into the research topics of 'Comparison of Transplanted Kidney Function in Patients on Two Different Doses of Mycophenolate Mofetil'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this